Friday, August 13, 2010

Tell Me Your Strange

Courtesy of: Dictionary.com:

strange
–adjective
1. unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer: a strange remark to make.
2. estranged, alienated, etc., as a result of being out of one's natural environment: In Bombay I felt strange.
3. situated, belonging, or coming from outside of one's own locality; foreign: to move to a strange place; strange religions.
4. outside of one's previous experience; hitherto unknown; unfamiliar: strange faces; strange customs.
5. unaccustomed to or inexperienced in; unacquainted (usually fol. by to ): I'm strange to this part of the job.
6. distant or reserved; shy.

The strangest thing I have ever done is name another human being. Granted, I had a boy's name picked out from the time I was 5.5 weeks pregnant, probably sooner. A girl's name took much, much longer. Perhaps I knew deep down I was having a boy.

Then he arrived. And he had a name. A name I had chosen. What if I looked at him and the name didn't fit? What if when I called him that name it seemed wrong? What if he hated it? What if I hated it?

Sometimes I think I repeated his name so often in my head that it just sounded funny in general. Luckily, his name does suit him. I can't imagine him being named anything else.

What is the strangest thing you have ever done?

No comments: