The focus for October is/was Authenticity. The assigment is to list all of the things you do that fill you with joy and/or grace. I thought creating this list would be easy. It wasn't, at least not for me. Here is what I have so far, I hope to find things to add to it. In no particular order:
- sipping good wine
- having my son run up to me at the end of the day calling out "Mama" and giving me a big hug
- long, hot baths
- getting a difficult deal done at work
- realizing that work was not the end all be all of my life and that the world would not crash down on me if I didn't get it all done
- looking at the professional maternity pictures I had done and realizing how amazing and beautiful and sensual I was then
- sharing my love for breastfeeding and natural birthing with others
- letting out loud, unrestrained laughter when something strikes me
- getting organized
- spin class (how I miss thee)
- yoga. balances my body, soul and emotions
- using sign language with my son. he isn't deaf but I love how we are learning to communicate in a variety of ways
- standing up for myself, even when I find it difficult to do so
My moments of clarity came when I was pregnant. I realized that there was no reason not to be the person I really was. I didn't need to care what "others" thought of me. I started to stand up more for myself; started to do even the little things that before would have scared me. I realized that work was not my life and didn't need to be.
Here's to authenticity. I hope to learn more about myself on this journey.